Friday 15 July 2022

Lessons from my Service Dog, Blue

 Assignments from my Service Dog, Blue

After four times together with Blue, I still marvel at our relationship. It's too musty to say we're simply companions; it's much further profound. There's a depth to his aspect that's hard to sound. He's not simply looking at me but radiates a sense of calm. And in that peace, I've been suitable to regard effects that are lesser than me. Blue has allowed me to see the beauty in the ordinary, through his eyes.

In these moments, he has tutored me to understand modesty. Not the solitariness of my isolated comfort, but an understanding of allowing myself to appreciate the beauty and astonishment of my reality. Blue has allowed me to wash down the fear and pain from PTSD.

On our trip together, as we walk down this pathway of life, I've set up a companion. Without reflection or deliberation, Blue seems to always follow the path that leads into the light. We stop and take in the moments of beautykindness, and love girding us. Blue has shown me my trip isn't ending; it's beginning.

Southeastern Guide Dogs Helps Veterans Like Me
At Southeastern Guide Dogs, I was struck by their commitment to my class and all the stagers I encountered, from training on lot to all the support since Blue came home with me. It was apparent this academy had one focus — the stager. In the four times I've been associated with the academy, that has been its guiding principle. It's a real and palpable anchor for people who struggle with PTSD.
My story isn't unique. I invite you to explore other stagers ’ stories in the recent edition of Life Unleased to learn further about how Southeastern Guide Dogs assists other stagers in need. For me, PTSD was a trip into darkness, and I ’m not sure where I would be without Southeastern Guide Dogs and the 90 pounds of love still snoring coming to me. He changed everything for me and gave me my life back.

Thank you for your ongoing support of Southeastern Guide Dogs and its stagers ’ programs, and by extension, me and Blue.
Unfeignedly,

No comments:

Post a Comment